Sunday, November 10, 2013

Old Salem

While in Greensboro I took Jack to visit a favorite of mine, Old Salem a Moravian Settlement in Winston-Salem, NC.

Salem was originally settled by members of the Moravian Church, a Protestant denomination that first began in 1457 in what was then the Czech Republic. The town's restored and reconstructed buildings show what Moravian life was like in the 18th and 19th centuries. There are also private residences interspersed among the public buildings. It is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area!

No visit to Old Salem is complete without a visit to Winkler Bakery, where the goodies are made in an old stone oven. I can not tell you how much I spent there, but Jack is now a major fan of Moravian Sugar Cake, Moravian Cookies and their fresh baked bread!
It was a chilly, cloudy day when we visited, but I was able to get some good pictures.





Since my first visit to Old Salem in 1982, I have wanted to eat at The Old Salem Tavern, but never made it until this visit. We enjoyed lunch there in the dining room pictured...there are several small dining rooms. The restaurant is in what was originally an annex to the original tavern.

The Original Tavern...outside from the back


 Inside the Tavern Museum...


Kitchen...


Guest room on the upper floor...



 This main floor guest room was for men of means, as very few of the rooms were private...




Letter from George Washington, who was a guest at the Tavern...





At the Gunsmith's Shop...














Garden of the Master Gardner in town...he was a resource for the townspeople 


Some private residences...



I visited Old Salem many times when I lived in Greensboro and knew Jack, who's a history buff, would love it. I was right...he did!

No comments:

Post a Comment