Sunday, April 24, 2016

Hearst Castle, Flush Toilets and Pie...Oh My

The Castle as seen on the drive to the top
About 30 miles north of Morro Bay sits Hearst Castle. We took a day to drive up and visit. It's an amazing place with 115 rooms, 38 bedrooms, 42 bathrooms, 3 guest houses that house 46 rooms, 2 pools and a wine cellar sitting high on a cliff with breathtaking views of the coast. We took two tours, the Grand Rooms Tour and the Upstairs Suites Tour.

In an effort to conserve water Hearst Castle has closed all the public restrooms and installed Porta Potties (ugh). I understand the terrible drought in California and applaud efforts to conserve water but I can't stand porta potties so when our tours were over my priority was finding a bathroom. My brother-in-law Bart had suggested we try the Easy As Pie Cafe in nearby Cambria so off we went in search of flush toilets and pie! Their rest rooms are adequate and I can highly recommend the Raspberry-Rhubarb Pie!

Hearst Castle allows picture taking everywhere so I'll let my many photos speak for themselves.


Exterior Castle and Grounds...
(Click photo to enlarge)







The view from the castle is breathtaking

Castle Interior...











1 comment:

  1. Yup, rest room and pie.....that would be my priorities also.

    Gonna have to visit that castle some day.

    ReplyDelete