Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Fly Away Home...

Spike
We've been gone since October 1st and, much as I love and enjoy our California grandchildren, I had a severe case of missing my grandchildren back home in North Carolina. My solution - I shopped around and found a round trip San Francisco to Wilmington fare for less than $350...can't beat that!

I took a red-eye back to Wilmington and Becca and Jackson picked me up at the airport (Katie was in school) I can't describe how good it felt to hug them!  Katie kindly gave up her bed for me for the week but I shared the room with Spike the Bearded Dragon...who sleeps with a blanket ad pillow when it's cold!   ------>

Becca had to work some days and Jackson was still on Spring Break so he and I got in lots of time...coloring and playing the Toss Em game I brought them. He kicked my butt more than once! Most of our days were routine, soccer practice, gymnastics practice, pepperoni rolls for J's lunch, homework for Katie and coloring in her Dia de los Muertes coloring book. I didn't get to spend as much time with her since she was in school but I treasured every minute I spent with both of them. Besides spending as much time as I could with Becca and the kids, there were a few other things I wanted to do while in Wilmington.


One was to see Angela and get my hair cut, which I did the first day. I got it cut a bit shorter than normal but so much more of my hair is natural now.

Waiting for our table at Causeway
The Jiggling Board at Causeway
Breakfast at the Causeway Cafe was on my list. We did that with Davis on Saturday morning. On the way we noticed an RV show at Mayfair, so we stopped there on our way back and spent a couple of hours wandering through new RVs. Then the kids lobbied for a visit to Barnes & Noble. I exercised great restraint and didn't even buy one book! By the time we got home from breakfast it was four o'clock! It was a good day.

Another thing on my list was take-out from Brooklyn Pizza. We did that twice. Pizza and Chicken Parmigiana sub. Jack was jealous!

At Elijah's
I really wanted some Crab Dip on the deck at Elijah's. My birthday fell during this visit and where better to go than Elijah's, so Becca finished work early, Katie left school a bit early (shhh) and we went to Elijah's for a late lunch. Becca and I shared Crab Dip, Calmari and Grilled Tuna. Katie had Fish and Chips and helped us with the Crab Dip and Calmari. Jackson enjoyed his burger and fries. We finished with a walk along the riverfront. It was a beautiful day...and there was birthday cake that evening!


On my last day, while picking Katie up from school, we realized I hadn't been to the beach so we picked Katie up and went over to the beach. Jackson helped me collect shells for Chanoa...she'd asked me to bring her shells from the beach before I left California. The day was sunny and a little cool but that didn't stop Katie and Jackson from getting their feet wet!


Wrightsville Beach
Click pictures to enlarge...


Katie's back flip...



The only downside of the trip was saying good bye before heading back to California and Jack. Can't wait to see them again!

P.S. I haven't mentioned our day trip to Raleigh to see the Brick Universe...that requires a post all it's own.


No comments:

Post a Comment