Monday, November 10, 2014

New Mexico, New WiFi, New Phones...

We were going to spend a week in Albuquerque...see the sights...visit Santa Fe, but after the truck repair in Holbrook resulting in a longer stay there, we decided on to just spend a couple of days in Albuquerque and save the sightseeing for our next trip through New Mexico.


I-40 and I-25 Interchange in New Mexico
I was not enthralled with Arizona...except for the obvious, like Vegas and the Grand Canyon. The overall look and feel just doesn't appeal to me...everything is so brown and dry and dusty. New Mexico on the other hand, has a little greenery and just seems fresh. I like it.  Even the Interstate interchanges are pretty...painted blue and adobe.

We stayed at the Hi Desert RV Park.  Flat, open, level spaces with full hook ups except for cable...and poor over the air TV reception.  We don't use things like the bathhouses and laundry and we have our own WiFi, so I don't comment on those things.  My only complaint was our reception.  We had a reservation and arrived a little after three.  The office was locked with a little clock on the door indicating someone would return at 3:45.  I called the office and got only a recording saying to dial my party's extension if i knew it.  it was a very long wait in the sun. A young woman did show up at 3:45 with no explanation...not even a greeting or a "Sorry you had to wait."  I mentioned the wait and she said, somewhat defensively, "I had to pick my child up from school, nothing I could do about it." A reasonable excuse but poor customer service.  A note on the door or at least a "Sorry you had to wait"  would have gone a long way to improving our impression of the place.

We've been getting our WiFi  from Millenicom, a re-seller of Verizon internet at better prices.  They were suddenly and unexpectedly taken over by Verizon and our internet access was going to disappear.  We went to a Verizon store since Jack is already a customer and took advantage of their Double Data promotion going on in October. We changed him to a More Everything plan, got a new Sim card for our Millenicom Hotspot...which is actually a Verizon Jetpak...and added it and me to his plan.  We'll have 30 Gigs/month instead of 20 and will save $50 a month...a good deal.

This means we got new phones...Galaxy 5s.  I love my new phone, but when they transferred my contacts, they lost most of them!  It's been a pain recreating them and some are gone permanently...guess I didn't really need those anyway!  I've been with AT&T for so many years, it seems odd to now be with Verizon.  Oh well...a good deal's a good deal!

Next up, Tim's Place...


No comments:

Post a Comment