Thursday, November 27, 2014

Giving Thanks in Myrtle Beach...


Pensacola RV Park
When I last posted we were still in Texas.  We've come a long way since then! We left Beaumont ten days ago and drove and drove...all the way through Louisiana right into Mississippi...spent the night in Gulfport, MS at Campgrounds of the South and continued on through Alabama into Florida.  We stopped for a break at Pensacola RV Park where we'd stayed for five weeks late last winter.  We spent four days recuperating from the long drive before moving on.  Our luck ran out just a little...temps dropped to 27 and our water hose froze, but it thawed quickly with no problem. We were going to travel northeast, but the only possible place to stop was around Auburn, AL and, wouldn't you know, there was a home game that night! Not a single spot available, so we continued east on I-10.  Then the rains began.  We drove in the rain to Lake City and made an overnight stop at Oaks 'N' Pines RV Park.  A second rainy drive through Georgia to Walterboro, SC.  We stopped at New Green Acres RV Park last year and liked it...this year it was drowning.  Our campsite had six inch deep puddles, and it kept raining. Stayed an extra night hoping the rains would stop...they did, only to start up again as we got ready to leave the next morning.  We drove north, out of the rain and arrived in Myrtle Beach day before yesterday. Eleven hundred miles in eight days and we're exhausted...but just in time for Thanksgiving in Myrtle Beach!

Myrtle Beach
Today is Thanksgiving...our second one in the RV...and we've come full circle back to where we were last Thanksgiving...Myrtle Beach, SC. We knew we weren't going to be in Wilmington for Turkey Day and, as I was trying to figure out where we would spend the holiday, I realized we could go to Myrtle Beach. Crazy as the place is, we love Myrtle Beach...oceanfront camping, more miniature golf courses than you can count, the ocean, a pancake house in every block and, did I say ocean?  Pirateland Campground runs a special every Thanksgiving...four nights for $99...and we decided to take advantage of it, even added on an extra week.  We are five campsites back from the ocean and I can hear the sound of the surf every time I open the door or windows.  For me, being by the ocean is truly relaxing.  It's a bit crowded right now, but most everyone will be gone by Monday and we'll have the place to ourselves for the rest of the week.

Thanksgiving has always been a favorite holiday of mine...good food, family, no decorating or wrapping presents, just being thankful for what we have...and as I think about it, I have a lot to be thankful for.  I have a terrific husband and a wonderful family, as well as an awesome new family out in California.  I'm retired and reasonably healthy. I have a life that some people only dream about...traveling around the country, doing what we want, when we want.  The last year has been amazing...I've seen so many things I'd only heard about before now.  We have a comfortable place to live, all the necessities of life and a few luxuries.  Is our life perfect?  No, but if I listed the negatives it would be a pretty short list...the main one being that I can't have my family close to me on this cool journey we are taking.

We will relax this coming week, do some housekeeping, and then go on to Wilmington. It's been six months since I've seen Becca and the kids and I can't wait!  I'm more excited than a kid at Christmas! It's been even longer since I've seen Michael and my brothers...but unfortunately we'll have to wait until snow season is gone to make those visits.

Traveling is great...so is coming home!


No comments:

Post a Comment