Sunday, January 12, 2014

Random Reflections...

(Authored by Jack)
The best thing about retirement is having no particular place to be every morning. My only responsibility is walking our dogs, Maggie and Ryan. I really enjoy the fact that the dogs appreciate my efforts. They are quite easily pleased and they don't ask more than a little food, water, and attention. I can handle that. I really love our dogs.

Since Gail and I were married, we've been traveling. We finally got to try out our 5th wheel. We discovered a wide variety of uses for bungee cords after finding many of our belongings misplaced at the next campground. Some of our country's wonderful interstates are in serious need of some TLC, to say the least. Not that we had any loss or damage, but finding things that were once in cabinets on one side of the 5th wheel suddenly on the opposite side concerned us both.

A real downside has been the weather. In Topsail it rained for 3 or 4 days prior to our leaving the campground and we remained under the same storm until we reached our Washington, DC campground two days later. Setting up our 5th wheel and tearing down in the rain is not a task I relish. Oh, and we left 75 degree temperatures and landed in 48 to 53 degrees. I can't wait for winter, right! Overall our trip has gone quite well.


Speaking of our trip, we found many of our greatest national treasures being held hostage both in DC and National Parks. I have some very unkind words for the so called elected "representatives" in DC.  I must admit I will never understand why some people have such an aversion to compromise for the greater good. To be so arrogant as to think they know what the people want without asking is unconscionable. My feeling is when elected officials determine they know best what's good for the country, they should be replaced. We did not put them there to take care of us, we put them there to speak and act on our behalf. Sounds as though changes are required to reacquaint them with reality.


Moving on, we have found we don't like being under large trees with acorns and squirrels. There's nothing like leaning back to take a nap and having dive bombing squirrels dropping acorns on the roof. Will definitely sit you right up when you're half asleep. Autumn's leaves cause problems when closing the slides. Sweeping the roof and slides is required before leaving a campground. Crows can be very athletic when they find a loose acorn on the roof. If you've ever wondered what a soccer game sounds like underground, I can tell you.

We spent one of the best Thanksgivings I've experienced in years in Myrtle Beach. I attribute that to the company I am now keeping. Gail and I went to Ryan's Restaurant and had quiet a dinner. It was buffet style so we got more than we could eat, which we paid for later. Another perk was the price, it was very easy on the wallet and was quite good. The best thing was that we were together and had lots to be thankful for this past year. The soothing sound of the ocean made for a wonderful month on the beach.
We've spent the Christmas holidays in Wilmington. Gail needs to get in a lot of grandma time because after this we head to Florida for two months and then on to parts west. We went to have lunch with the youngsters at school one day, Gail babysat them several times, and we spent Christmas with them. Not to mention the occasional drop-bys from time to time. She has decided that, while on the road, should she miss them too much, she may hop a plane and make a weekend visit. I can't blame her, I fully understand how she feels as I don't get to see my grandkids as often as I'd like.
Wilmington has one drawback: it has one way into town and one way out. Trying to get in or out of the KOA here is tricky and time consuming. Turning right takes a minute or two depending on traffic but turning left can take up to five or more minutes. This is just to get into the center turn lane, getting into traffic sometimes takes more time. I've considered writing a letter to the editor but think it is a waste of time as the town has been this way for years and I guess no one else is complaining.
To be honest, we haven't tried to banish one another to the couch, the dogs haven't tried to leave home, we haven't gone broke nor have we been asked to not return by any of the campgrounds we've stayed at, so I guess we are doing great.
Once we leave Wilmington we are embarking on new ground, places we have no ties to in any way. So far we have been in areas familiar to us and had people close by, but now we will really be on our own. It's both exciting and a little scary but, overall, we are looking forward to the travel and the adventures. Time will tell.   ...Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment