Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Frozen Water Pumps and Tearful Good-byes...

We are finally on the road. As I expected, saying good bye to my Katie and Jackson was very hard. While I didn't sob, I certainly got teary. It didn't make it any easier that, when I went to hug her, Katie quietly said, "Don't leave." It is making me tear up just writing about it. We talked and hugged and kissed and discussed the ways we will keep in touch...and I promised I will fly back for a visit if we are gone longer than I can stand. Jackson hugged us longer than usual, then as we were leaving, my dramatic grandson jokingly grabbed onto Jack's leg yelling, "Don't leave me, don't leave me!" I know he was playing around, but it was how I felt inside. It was also hard saying good bye to Rebecca, we are very close. Thankfully, she has been very encouraging of my pursing my travel dream.

Our plan was to leave Wilmington, NC on Jan 9th...that was the plan, anyway.
Earlier that week temps plummeted to low 20s...maybe even teens. We (thought) we took necessary precautions...filled our fresh water tank, turned on the pump, disconnected from city water and kept the furnace running. It worked the first couple of days, then we woke up one morning to no water. We figured the water pump had frozen, but temps were warming up that day to the 40s, so we bought a new water hose (current one was frozen), shut off the pump, reconnected to city water and...voila, water! We were happy and went about our preparations to leave the next day. That evening while watching TV, Jack heard a POP...then he heard water running. He went out to investigate and found water pouring out from under our RV! We thought a pipe had burst; he turned off the city water supply and we knew we weren't going anywhere the next day. Next morning we called a mobile RV Tech and were lucky he had a cancellation and was able to get out to us the same day. Turns out it wasn't a pipe, but the water pump that burst, which he replaced. We got on the road on the 10th...only a day late.

Being without water for a couple of days put me way behind on laundry...our little washer/dryer does miniscule loads...so I decided, since we were delayed anyway, going over to Becca's and catching up on the laundry would be productive. I was concerned over having to say good bye again, but also loved the idea of a little extra time with the kids. When I arrived, I said to the kids that I bet they didn't expect to see me and told them about the broken water pump and how bad it was. Katie grinned and said, "Well, it wasn't completely bad." Got all my laundry done and enjoyed an afternoon with Katie and Jackson. We kept the good byes simple this time.

So...we are on the road. Spent an overnight in Walterboro, SC at New Green Acres RV Park. It boasts the longest pull-thrus this side of the Mississippi,...and I don't doubt it. It is an easy on/off from I-95 and has room for the longest RV combo to park without unhitching.

Next stop, St. Augustine...


No comments:

Post a Comment