Friday, June 24, 2016

If You Build It, He Will Come...

Our next stop was Kieler, Wisconsin, a tiny town of 500 just across the Mississippi from Dubuque, Iowa.

The countryside is beautiful and I found a lovely campground called the Rustic Barn Campground and RV Park. My plan was to spend a few days there but I was only able to get a reservation for two nights so we made the best of it. It takes its name from the antique barn that houses the office. It's one of a few remaining old barns with no internal supports still standing. (Wasn't able to get a decent photo of the barn) There is also a beautiful antique chapel on the grounds with wooden pews and stained glass windows. The sites are gravel with grass in between, full hook-ups and shade trees. We had a long pull-thru which was not too wide but most of the sites are wide back-ins, some with patios. The sewers have just recently bee added and some are too high but they are in the process of fixing them. There are a number of permanent rigs and they are very well-kept.



We were starving when we arrived at the campground and Gooches Greenhouse Tavern was recommended. It's a small bar/restaurant with pretty good food and prices from another era. Jack had a bacon cheeseburger with fries and a soft drink and I had a fried chicken basket with sour cream and chive fries. I've never heard of sour cream and chive fries but they sounded good (they were). Our bill for the meal was $16!


Just west of Dubuque, Iowa lies a place I've always wanted to see...The Field of Dreams. I fell in love with that movie the first time I saw it and never tire of watching it.

Hmm, first Diamond Lil's in Deadwood and now the Field of Dreams...almost seems I have a Kevin Costner thing going on!


We drove out there and the road leading up to it is just as long as it looks at the end of the movie when you see cars lined up for miles. The house is lived in and can only be viewed from the outside. We were able to walk the field, walk the bases, sit in the bleachers and check out the corn. It's early in the season so the corn was only about knee high. We also visited the tiny gift shop. I'm not usually big on buying souvenirs but I bought a t-shirt...unheard of for me as I don't wear t-shirts. Jack bought me a program that has all kinds of interesting stories and photos of the field and the filming of the movie. He got a t-shirt too but that's not surprising as he often buys (and wears) t-shirts from places we've visited.





On the way back to our campground in Wisconsin, would you believe...Pizza Ranch in Dubuque! Love that peach dessert pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment