Saturday, May 16, 2015

Greensboro...Old Cars, Old Friends and More Repairs (seriously?)

We stopped in Greensboro on our way from Asheville back to Wilmington. When we're towing the fifth wheel we prefer to keep our travels to around two hundred miles a day and Greensboro is ideally situated between them...it's also an opportunity to visit one more time with my brothers.  One of the nice things about being retired...no schedules! We arrived at Greensboro Campground at two PM...plenty of time to set up and relax, or so we thought!

We had just gotten unhitched, auto-leveled and connected to utilities when Jack noticed something dripping. It was hydraulic fluid from our automatic leveling jacks, there was a leak in the line. We hitched the fifth wheel back up to the truck, raised the jacks and the leaking stopped. Jack tried patching it with electrical tape...no such luck. As soon as the front jacks were lowered the fluid started running like a faucet. Way too much pressure exerted to be controlled with a patch, so back up went the jacks and no leaking.  The only problem...without being able to lower the jacks we couldn't unhitch the fifth wheel from the truck. No transportation and no support under the fifth wheel except the tires and the truck. Not a good beginning to our stay.

I called my brother Glen who lives a few miles from the campground and he came over. He and Jack went out, bought more hydraulic fluid and looked into getting a new line...turns out it's special order. Ultimately, we found a mobile RV tech who ordered the hydraulic line and put in. The line took four days to arrive, our four day visit turned into five and we're $300 poorer. It sure was great to finally be able to put the jacks down the last night and not have to get seasick every time one of us walked through the RV!
Seen in a Greensboro parking lot...want!
Glen solved our transportation issue. I had given him my old '98 Honda Accord when we went full time. It has electrical issues and has to sit on a charger every night but still runs great. It has 160,000 miles on it and everything else works. He brought the car and his trickle charger over and we were set. Felt like old times running around in my old Honda. Still love that car and, if/when we come off the road, I want another one!


...at Darryl's

As always, I loved seeing my brothers. Ken's schedule was busy and we only managed one lunch...at Jason's Deli...but we'll have another visit when he comes to Wilmington in July. I don't know why Ken never seems to get in my photos...sorry, Ken!! :) I'll be sure to get lots of pics of Ken in July. We were able to have dinner with Glen and Joanna twice...Darryl's (which has become our place) and San Luis II. I also was able to finish putting together the photo book of their wedding that I am doing on Shutterfly as their wedding gift. It looks great!


Left to right:  Bev, Diane, Me, Jeannie, Mariam, Mary,
Cindy in front
(Diane & Jeanie are from after my time there)
I learned that some of my old co-workers from Cone Hospital were getting together for lunch while we were in Greensboro...perfect timing. It was so great seeing them after ten years! I also met two nurses who worked on my old unit after I left, one of whom also worked on my old floor at Wesley Long (going back 20 years now) and found we have some co-workers in common. It was fun hearing updates on them. Hope we can do it again sooner than another ten years!

Next stop, Wilmington...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment