Saturday, October 25, 2014

Viva Las Vegas!

At The Blue Man Theater
Everyone needs to see Las Vegas at least once.  It took me many years to get here, but I made it!

We spent our first night on the road at Newberry Mountain RV Park and Motel in Newberry Springs, CA, a tiny desert town on old Route 66...population 2500...with an average summer temperature of 107 degrees F.  The campground is flat, wide open and gravel with a couple of ponds.  It makes for an easy overnight stop.  It is right up the road from the Bagdad Cafe.  It is also the first place we have had to change sites due to electrical issues.  We weren't getting enough voltage and our surge protector kept shutting off the power every time I turned the A/C on.  We moved to another site and had no problems.


The next morning we finished our drive to Vegas and checked in at the Las Vegas RV Resort.  It's a large paved resort with typical desert landscape.  Maggie didn't care for it as there was nary a blade of grass in the place...she doesn't like using gravel as her bathroom!  It is a clean, well-run RV Park with all amenities except cable...and over the air TV reception was awful.  It is only a few miles to the Las Vegas Strip and they are currently offering sites at $29 a night.  We would stay there again.

I'm not into gambling but I had to try the famed slot machines. We lost $25 and I gave it up.  I get no thrill from the remote possibility of winning big...just prefer to get something for my money.

Now, the glitz, glamour, and hustle bustle of the city is something else entirely.  I love it! Our first day there, we drove up and down the strip numerous times and never did find a place to park.  I took lots of photos through the windshield, then we headed back towards the RV park and partook of a Las Vegas buffet at Sam's Town.  It was pretty good for the price....which was about half what the buffets in the Strip are.







The next day we had better luck finding a place to park our monster truck.  I headed to New York, New York and took in the sights.  We passed the Nine Fine Irishmen Pub with outdoor tables and stopped in for a late lunch.  It was good, overpriced and an ideal spot for people watching.  Watching Vegas slowly light up as the sun goes down is a sight to see.







Statue of Liberty made entirely out of chocolate


We originally planned just a couple of days in Vegas, but I couldn't leave without seeing a Vegas show, so we extended our stay and I began my search for tickets.  We settled on the Blue Man Group at the Monte Carlo.  I was unfamiliar with them, but we'd heard it was a good show.  It was an excellent decision...the show was awesome!  The reviews all said it is impossible to describe and they are right.






Lots of energy, audience participation, almost mime-like vignettes, music played on all kinds of crazy instruments, colorful, funny, almost no dialogue which is ideal for me with my hearing loss.  Spontaneous...some people walked in late...suddenly the screen on stage popped up with with a flashing headline...late-comers... and video of them as the spotlight followed them to their seats. They make fun of many things but it's appropriate for all ages.  You leave the theater exhilarated.  Can you tell we loved it? Highly recommend you see it if you get the chance!

I won't return to Vegas to gamble, but I will return...

No comments:

Post a Comment