Saturday, September 28, 2013

Ready For Adventure...

Just noticed we have both been rather silent since early August.
 
We have been at Topsail Sound RV Park for nearly three months now. It is a nice enough park. Mostly permanent second homes and seasonal sites with a handful of sites set aside for short-term and overnight travelers. The sites are large with full hook-ups and cable TV; there is a pool, playground, volley ball court, and clubhouse, as well as a small laundry room and a bath with a couple of showers. We are less than a mile, as the crow flies, to the water. Management is responsive and people are friendly enough. I wouldn't consider it a destination except for its proximity to the beach. We might just make this our "home base" when we are in this area as it is the best deal around.

We've spent the summer tying up loose ends, getting comfortable living together in 400 square feet, enjoying my grandchildren, and making plans. Two birthday parties, surf lessons, babysitting, soccer games and gymnastics meets for the grandkids - I have so enjoyed my time with them and am going to miss them something fierce when we are away, but that's a subject for another time. For us older folks it has been dining out, mastering laundry in my tiny washer/dryer, truck repairs, adding shelves to the RV, lots of reading, doctor appointments...and wedding plans.

We are getting married in seven days! Most of our families are too far away to make the trek, so we decided to keep it simple and private. A ceremony on the beach with my daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and grandson as witnesses and a lovely dinner afterwards. We've both been married before, but this will be the first time I've said "I do" wearing jeans. As a nod to tradition, they will be WHITE jeans! We are excited and happy!

My grandkids have asked several times when are we going to get married. Katie wants "a new grandpa" as she puts it and Jackson is concerned that Mr. Jack be part of the family. Sometime back they announced they wanted to be flower girl and ring boy when we got married. I explained that, when the time came, we would not be having a fancy wedding like that. Katie said, "You mean you might elope?" I said yes, we might.  Her response?  "Okay, as long as you take me with you." :) They will stand beside us on the beach and each will be entrusted with a ring...a responsibility they are looking forward to.

Every wedding calls for a honeymoon and I've been busy on the computer planning a two month trip for us. We leave four days after the wedding. Up the road to visit our nation's capitol, then into Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, the Amish Country, Gettysburg, and a visit with my sister and my niece and her family. From there we head down through the Shenandoah Valley into the mountains of West Virginia to explore the area and visit with my son Michael. Then to the Piedmont of North Carolina to show Jack the sights - visit Old Salem, the Richard Childress Winery, maybe a stop in Mount Airy to see Andy's home town - and visit with my brothers and their families. After that, it's down to Charlotte and the Lowe's Motor Speedway for three nights of sprint car racing (Jack's favorite). Finally, a month at Myrtle Beach to relax before heading back here for the Christmas holiday. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment