Saturday, July 20, 2013

Getting Settled...

Well, we've been here three weeks now. To me, it still feels like we're on vacation. We should be relaxing, but there hasn't been much time for that. We've been running almost every day. First it was things like getting our cars down here, picking up mail and packages from Amazon, stocking up on groceries and getting organized. From there it moved to babysitting my grandkids, family visits, catching up on laundry, and putting the finishing touches on our new home on wheels. It's kind of like moving into a new house, except a lot smaller!

Paring things down was both easy and hard. The furniture was the easy part. We gave family whatever they could use and sold the rest on Craigslist. It was all the other "stuff" that was hard. No matter how much went out the house still seemed full. I swear that stuff multiplied at night while we slept. But we got it done and here we are!

"Here" is Topsail Sound RV Park, where we're staying for the summer. We are mostly settled in, just adding those little things that make it feel like home. It seems like a good place to spend the summer. We're less than a mile to the ocean as the crow flies but, since we old crows can't fly, it's a ten minute drive. It's twenty-three miles to my grandkids and twenty-five miles to the local racetrack where Jack is the flagman every other Saturday...so it's all good.

I really need to take some good pictures but, wouldn't you know, my trusty old camera died! I bought it just before Katie was born so I could take lots of photos of my first grandchild. It was my first digital camera, a Sony Cybershot, and it took great pictures! Thought it was so cool when I got it but, nine years later, it looks a bit like a dinosaur, so maybe its death is a blessing in disguise. I'll have to add a new camera to the list of the many things we are buying for life on the road.


In the meantime, I'm making do with the camera in my Blackberry.

That's Maggie (below) settled comfortably into Jack's chair. She's one of our two traveling dogs.  She's a thirteen year-old Border Collie/Sheltie.

Our other dog Ryan is a fifteen year-old Poodle/Bichon mix.



Our fifth wheel is starting to look like home and, more importantly, starting to feel like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment